The mission of the Legal Research Chair in Food Diversity and Security aims to carry out a critical analysis of the existing national and international legal instruments with regard to the objective of protecting and promoting agricultural and food diversity for better sustainable world food security.
The Chair will also serve as a forum for meaningful ongoing reflection with all stakeholders on the development of agri-food legislation that is more coherent with this objective. It promotes legal research on sustainable food security and ensures the transfer of knowledge to interested parties. The training of a new generation of jurists in a field where knowledge are in high demand are the core of it mission .
The Legal Research Chair in Food Diversity and Security will be a strategic unit affiliated with the Faculty of Law.
Key objectives include:
- Contribute to a continuous and coherent reflection in the field of agrifood law in Quebec, Canada, and internationally, with the participation of various stakeholder ;
- Federate academic research and international collaborations in the field of law and food security ;
- Support the training of students in areas of law related to the diversity of products, agricultural and food production modes and food security ;
- Ensure the transfer of knowledge developed, in particular by adding legal expertise to partners’ field projects.
A unique research and innovation partnership
The Legal Research Chair in Food Diversity and Security is made possible through the contribution from Union des producteurs agricoles, Financière agricole du Québec – Développement international, and the GO5 Coalition:
The Chair DDSA has a steering committee whose mandate is to advise the Chairholder on the planning of activities and the follow-up of objectives, to evaluate the evolution of the Chair, to suggest improvements or new orientations, and help to highlight the results of the research carried out under the Chair. The Committee also receives the Annual Report and reviews the description of the budget and activities planned for the current year.
The Steering Committee is composed of:
- Mr. Marcel Groleau, President of Union des producteurs agricoles du Québec
- Ms. Sylvie De Serres, General Director of Financière agricole du Québec – Développement international
- Mr. Jean Vigneault, Representative of Mouvement pour la gestion de l’offre
- Mr. Jean-Louis Rastoin, Representative of UNESCO Chair – World Food Systems, Montpellier SupAgro, France
- Mr. Maurice Doyon, Profesor, Faculty of agriculture and alimentation, Laval University
- Ms. Kaouther Bessrour, Vice-rectorat à la recherche et à la création, Laval University
- Ms. Anne-Marie Laflamme, Deanery, Faculty of Law, Laval University
The Legal research Chair has a Scientific Board with following representatives :
- Sélim Louafi, CIRAD, Montpellier, France
- Marie-Claude Desjardins, University of Sherbrooke, Faculty of Law
- Hugo Muñoz, University of Costa Rica, Faculty of Law
- Alyne Savary, Union des producteurs agricoles du Québec
- Marine Friant-Perrot, University of Nantes, Faculty of Law